The reason we Run
Through the Race for the Cure® we are part of a global initiative to support women who have dealt breast cancer. Information, awareness and support for women who are under treatment, for women –survivors and for the general population are non-negotiable objectives of the Greece Race for the Cure® and the Hellenic Association of Women with Breast Cancer “Alma Zois”.
Our goal is to provide information to every woman in Greece about early detection methods and about the right steps that have to be taken – depending on the age – in order to be safe, according to international medical guidelines.
- We run in order to inform every woman in Greece about breast cancer
- We run so that everyone shall hear our voice about the importance of breast cancer prevention and early diagnosis
- We run to demystify breast cancer
- We run to defeat fear and prejudice
- We run to improve the quality of life and the rights of women with breast cancer
- We run to support women with breast cancer and their families
- We run to save lives
- We run to honor the women who are no longer close to us
- We run the road against breast cancer
Why join Greece Race for the Cure®?
- To show love and caring to yourself and those around you.
- In order to have an active role and participation in the global chain against breast cancer.
- To celebrate the strength and effort despite any difficulties
- To help raise funds for the implementation of programs by “Alma Zois”, Association of Women with Breast Cancer.
Greece Race for the Cure® funds Alma Zois’ programs against breast cancer in Athens, Patras and Thessaloniki: Breast cancer survivors psychosocial support programs and breast cancer awareness programs.
Programs funded by 9th Greece Race for the Cure®
- Helpline for breast cancer patients
- Βeauty techniques and nutrition tips for breast cancer patients during therapy
- Legal Counseling Program
- Genetic Counseling and testing
- Group Therapy & Wellness programs
- Τraining program for Healthcare Professionals in Communication Skills with Oncological patients
- Scientific Research Grand for breast cancer in Greece (in psycho-oncology)
- Breast cancer Workplace awareness program
- Breast Cancer Awareness Program – Clinical Breast Exams for 20-39 y.o. women
- Breast Cancer Awareness Program in 5 areas in Greece with limited access to healthcare services
Breast Cancer Awareness Steps
Take the right steps
- At the age of 20 have a clinical breast exam every three years and every year after 40.
- Have your first mammogram at the age of 35-40 years.
- Have a mammogram every year after the age of 40.
- Ask your doctor what diagnostic tests are more suitable for you, if you belong to a high risk group.
- Ask whether you need to have a mammogram or another diagnostic test before the age of 40.
Do not ignore changes
- Lump, hard knot or thickening inside the breast or underarm area
- Swelling, warmth, redness or darkening of the breast
- Change the size and the shape of the breast
- Itchy, scaly sore or rush on the nipple
- Pulling in of your nipple
- nipple discharge that starts suddenly
- New pain in a spot that does not go away
- dimpling of the breast surface
- an “orange peel” texture to the skin
Do not forget yourself
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Add exercise into your routine
- Limit alcohol intake
- Quit smoking
- Breastfeed, if you can